Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup basmati rice (long grained)
- 1 cup paneer (cottage cheese), cubed
- 2 large onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed Garlic
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- ½ cup green peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1-inch piece of cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp + 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee (clarified butter) (optional)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cup water
- salt to taste
- Wash and soak basmati rice in 2-cups water and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat 2 teaspoon oil and 1 teaspoon ghee in a pressure cooker over a low flame. Ghee gives a traditional flavor to the rice.
- Add clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, grated ginger and crushed garlic in heated oil and ghee.
- Add green chillies and sliced onion, sauté until onion turns light brown.
- Add green peas and soaked rice (drain them before adding), sauté for a minute.
- Add lemon juice, salt and 2-cups water and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 3-whistles over low-medium flame (number of whistles required may vary based on size and type of cooker you are using). Turn off the flame and let it sit idle for 10-minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan and shallow fry paneer cubes until they turn light brown.
- Add fried paneer cubes to the rice. Mix well and transfer the paneer pulao to a large bowl.
- Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
Makes 4 servings.