Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup semolina (rava)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 6 to 7 curry leaves
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp green chillies, finely chopped
- 4 tsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 4 tsp freshly grated coconut
- 4 tsp nylon sev (optional)
- salt to taste
- Boil 2 cups of water in a deep pan and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, curry leaves, onions and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame till the onions turn translucent.
- Add the semolina and sauté on a slow flame for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the hot water and salt and cover and cook on a slow flame for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring once in a while.
- Place equal portions of upma on 4 plates, garnish each plate with 1 tsp of coriander and 1 tsp of coconut and 1 tsp of nylon sev.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings