Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 250 gms bhindi (ladies finger/okra)
- 2 tbsp gram flour (besan), roasted
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tsp cumin-coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- A small pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp dry mango powder
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1½ tbsp + 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Slit the bhindi lengthwise into halves. Heat 1½ tablespoons oil in a pan or wok over medium flame. When oil is medium hot, add bhindi.
- Shallow fry it until it shrinks in size for around 7-8 minutes. Stir in between occasionally to fry evenly and prevent sticking.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix well and cook for a minute. Turn off flame and transfer it to a plate.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in the same pan. Add cumin seeds; when seeds begin to crackle, add asafoetida and sauté for few seconds.
- Add sliced onion and sauté until it turns light brown or for approx. 1-2 minutes
- Add shallow fried bhindi, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add roasted gram flour and dry mango powder.
- Stir and cook for a minute. Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder and cumin-coriander powder.
- Stir and cook until bhindi is evenly coated with all ingredients for around 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and transfer prepared bhindi curry to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and/or onion rings, serve hot.
Makes 2 servings.