Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup steamed basmati rice
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 4 to 5 curry leaves
- 3 whole dry kashmiri red chillies broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup onions, thinly sliced
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chana dal (split bengal gram) parboiled
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add the urad dal, asafoetida, curry leaves and dry red chillies and cook for 1 minute till the urad dal turns pink.
- Add the onions and turmeric powder and cook for another minute.
- Add the cabbage, chana dal, salt and 1 tablespoon water.
- Cook over a low flame for 5 minutes or till the cabbage is tender.
- Add the rice and lemon juice, mix well and cook covered for a few minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
Makes 2 servings.