Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 2 cup masoor dal (red lentils)
- 500g spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 5 cups water
- 30g ghee (clarified butter)
- salt to taste
- Rinse dal and soak for 15 minutes.
- In a large pan, bring water to the boil and add salt, dal, turmeric and chilli powder.
- Cover and return to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and cook 5 minutes, or until dal is soft. Add more water if necessary.
- In a small pan melt ghee over a medium heat and stir fry onions with cumin and mustard seeds, stirring often.
- Cook until onions are transparent, and then combine with dal.
- Add coconut milk.
- Stir in garam masala and cook until done.
Makes 4 servings